Friday 25 March 2011

Japan

Japan represents my spiritual root. I am, and I have always been influenced by the Zen view of the world. The Aestetics of Abu Sabi are those that I much embrace in my artistic practices. The apocalictic events of the last few weeks are not only filling my heart with profound sadness but have also shaken my life from the foundations. Many questions about our society are suddenly waken up, as if they were numb. I will come back to this pages to reflect about all what the terrible tragedy means to me. I'd like to look far into the future, I'd like to draw possible outcomes. What if Japan decide to give up the race against the super powers of western capitalism and decide to enter in a new dawn characterised by a clean self-suficient existence, totally independent from the global markets and based on the production of new renewable energy? In some way going back to the pre-industralised age in a 'new-middle age' with high eco-tech systems where the goal is not accumulation of wealth. What if they decide to give up, declare bankruptcy and start a new nation from scratch? Open the doors of a systematic new approach that would work as a model for other countries in the position to say: You know what? I give up, you do what you think is right for you. We don't want to keep producing, we don't want to be part of your competitive markets, we don't want to make cars and computers for your hectic rat-race. Don't get me wrong this is just a 'what if' exercise. So, what if Japan rebuilds a brand new self sufficient society on the model of small communities already scattered around the globe. A new massive scale experiment for the future of humanity. How does it sound to you?

1 comment:

  1. My sweet friend~

    Thank you so much for thinking of the Japanese people during this terrible time. For reaching out to contribute what you can. Your heart is golden...this means the world to me! I hope one day you can visit us in Okinawa so you can experience some of the Japanese culture island style. It has definitely rooted itself in my heart...and I think you will find the culture of Okinawan's to be much how you describe this new vision and dream of Japan to be. Namaste to you always dear one~~~

    ReplyDelete